"Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." Paul to the persecuted at Philippi (2:5-11)

20 November 2013

Oh seriously, Thanksgiving already????

They say time flies when you're having fun.
They also say it speeds up as you get older. 
Best I can figure, I'm having an absolute ball aging. 

I can't believe its almost Thanksgiving again.  I can't believe how unprepared I am for the annual onslaught of marketing propaganda, how unready I am for the annual pilgrimage to my hometown for family gatherings, how completely not-braced-for-impact I am with regard to "holly jolly Santa"  music blaring on every street corner.

Secular Christmas is anti-Gospel.  Be good, get stuff. 

Never-mind laying up "stuff" in heaven where it doesn't become next year's garage sale fodder, landfill, and clutter.

Never-mind our lack of merit for the true good stuff, which is given freely through Jesus.

Never-mind that Christmas is about Jesus emptying himself of all that is good, in order to die, and calling us to do the same.

Never-mind all that.  Holly jolly.  Ho ho ho.

I'm also unprepared for the annual accusation that I'm a  "Grinch."

I'm not.  I love Christmas.  I actually love giving well thought-out gifts that mean something to the recipient and hopefully kick back a little to the world at large, craftsmen and growers and those in need.  Receiving sometimes depresses me, but I do like little gifts that say "hi, I thought of you.  I know you like interesting real fiber socks and good green coffee." 

But mostly I love Christmas for quiet (which is admittedly hard to come by on Christmas Day, but the next eleven days have thankfully been abandoned by the secular marketing machine), candle light, a glass of sherry by the glow of the goofy tree, a leisurely day with the kids after Christmas Mass.

But mostly this year, I feel unprepared.  I think I'll not hurry though.  I'll try not to fluster and worry like the world at large.  Advent waiting is unrushed, the Christ child is slow in arrival, the Messiah delays his return that more should be saved (not spent!).   And sure, I'll buy a few gifts, but let's not overdo it.  And maybe I'll go to a party, but who cares if I don't?  And maybe I'll even give up something for Advent, because Lent is over-abused in that regard.  But I won't hurry.... perhaps, giving up hurrying is just what I'll do. 

And maybe, just maybe, it won't fly so fast after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment