"Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." Paul to the persecuted at Philippi (2:5-11)

18 September 2013

Catholic School Mom

Yes, that's me.
Seriously, I'm not pulling your leg.

This year we decided to send our middle son to a very (very, very) Roman Catholic school instead of homeschooling.

They don't have nuns (though I joked with a friend that once they met my middle child they might rush out and get some nuns... mean ones) but in no other way are they lacking in their Romanness. 

On the first Monday of the school year, the bishop showed up to bless giant hole that will become the foundation of their new building.

The BISHOP!

Not the person we know as the bishop.   It was his RC-Purpleness.  (And admittedly, I think he's cool.)

They have mass every day.  Which my kid can't receive.  (And Pope Francis, if you're reading (okay if the Pope is reading, I'll faint, but still... maybe he ego-searches and will find his name here) I think that Roman Catholics and Anglicans not being able to receive the same sacrament is a crock and we'll all answer for it in the judgment.  I hear you call people... give me buzz and we'll talk.)

And here's what I think is funny and blog worthy about all of this Roman Catholicity in my son's life....

On the way to drop him off at school, I am still dropping my eldest son off at study center.  It is literally on the way, just on the other side of the park from the catholic school. 

And the study center is so blinking Presbyterian (of the We Love John Calvin type) that it is not funny.

And so in the car I get to field out why the Rosary is not heretical but maybe not the best focus of our prayers.  (I like Mary, I do... but you know...) and why John Knox, while also not heretical, strikes me as mentally ill.

And of course the catholics pray like we do but the Presbyterians read the Bible like we do.  Hmmm....

And mostly, I love everything both institutions are teaching my kids.
And the people in both places are the nicest people on earth and really truly love Jesus.
And both claim a classical curriculum and love educating kids for the glory of God.
And the principals of both are women who are no doubt cut from the same cloth, which is why I smile every time I see either one of them.

And while neither is a perfect fit, both are really close, for really different reasons.

And the best  part is when we are reviewing all of that in the car on the way two or from school/study center.... because the coolest part of being and Anglican is being the tiny little bit of space where both of those worlds collide.

My eldest (the one in the Presbyterian study center) is looking at catholic colleges.  Maybe I'll send the second one to a conservative Presbyterian college.  Ha.

And as I said this morning, if only I could find a nice Eastern Orthodox school for the youngest, our Anglican Educational Tossed Salad would be complete.

5 comments:

  1. I attended a Lutheran school, K-2, before going on to a public school for the 3rd grade. The reason was that they were doing phonics, and the public schools had already switched to look-say/whole word. One of the best, among many things, my parents did for me. Anyway, I still recall a couple of times asking puzzled questions about things which were discussed in religion class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isaiah 55: 1-3 God accepts
    While we exclude.
    Isaiah 55: 8 My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways.
    Copy that.

    Slippery slope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We get a lot of things wrong in American Culture, but this type of approach to religion and child rearing is not one of them. At the very least it makes parents refine their own thoughts to answer pesky questions from the kiddos.

    If you were raising children in Ulster, what you are doing would be unthinkable and possibly dangerous. I am daily grateful that I live in a place with lots of Presbyterians and Catholics who manage to live together without trying to open up each others head with a tire iron.

    If Pope Francis calls, please let us know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. By all means send your kids to Geneva (the "true" Presbyterians--at least, as regarding worship standards). I'd take care of them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My eldest and I took the official Geneva tour about six weeks ago... There's a lot to like about Geneva and Grove City when you look at the schools and the Anglican Churches that would take care of my kids. I think the eldest prefers the catholic schools, maybe to diversify the portfolio, but also maybe because he fell in love with icons and eastern architecture while we were in Greece and is slowly moving that direction at heart... who knows. Kids these days!

    ReplyDelete