"Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." Paul to the persecuted at Philippi (2:5-11)

Friday, April 12, 2013

You keep using that word...

I do not think it means what you think it means.

I thought conversation meant talking to someone else, an exchange of ideas, differing ideas.

I thought anything less was propaganda (talking to someone else to exchange the same idea over over, perhaps)...
Or insanity (talking to one's self and not realizing it, maybe expecting an unexpected response from within one's own head).

But I'm pretty sure conversation meant give and take.

As they say... my bad.

http://www.episcopalpgh.org/memorial-conversation-series/

Apologies to my friends who are still in TEC-Pittsburgh, but really, this is conversation? I saw the attempt at "conversation" on same sex marriage unfolding in PGH, and I kind of hoped your bishop would be honorable both to the various parties involved and to the Gospel.  But I look at  this conversation run amok at Calvary and all I see is propaganda.  The diocese is supporting this propaganda with an article  front and center on their web page. 

What  is this going to heal?  Nobody who is "against" same sex marriage will attend this fiasco.  It will just be a pep-rally for those who are for it.  There is no balanced voice here, no give and take, no conversation.  There is only division that I thought your bishop was smart enough, wise enough, pastoral enough to forestall.  Something has slipped badly in the system and I don't see it coming to a good end. 

But then, doing theology by popular vote and propagandizing never comes to good end, anyway.

3 comments:

  1. Tara,

    You are correct that the series at Calvary Church is not a part of the structured diocesan conversation process, which is in early stages now and seems in my view anyway to be attempting something in a much more balanced and low-key way.

    I doubt if anyone outside of Calvary Church had any role in the design of the Calvary program. Our diocesan webmaster does what he does to serve the parishes with announcements related to Evensong at St. Andrew's or other events and services that might be of interest to a wider constituency, and so it makes sense to me that he would post something about what Calvary is offering.

    It should have been clear, though, that this is a parish event, not something "official" of the diocese.

    Oh. And sorry about your Redlegs last night. 8-) We'll have another go of it this evening . . . .

    Bruce Robison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that clarification, though coming at such a sensitive time I cannot see how Calvary's little venture here can possibly be constructive.

    As for baseball.... well, its a good thing we're friends, Bruce! Actually, I'll be spending Sunday afternoon at PNC Park.... wearing red. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bruce (and others) I notice now that the link on the diocesan page has utterly vanished. (No comment on why, as I'm clearly not "in the loop" there.) For the reader's information the link on Calvary's page (which I don't expect will disappera any time soon) is here:
    http://www.calvarypgh.org/williams/williams.htm

    ReplyDelete