"Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." Paul to the persecuted at Philippi (2:5-11)

Friday, November 16, 2012

Secrets to Happiness

The secrets to happiness that occurred to me in the grocery store today, as I dropped by to pick up a gallon of milk on the way home:

1. Take life exactly at the speed it comes to you, never faster.

2. Like everyone unless and until they give you a very good reason not to. My dad always said that "95% of the people in this world are good people."

3. Explore often.

I'm not always good at those things, but there they are. Wondering what secrets to happiness you all might add. I guess its kind of like having a rule of life (Pray, Work, Study) but more Tao (watch the river go by, always changing, always the same.) Oh well, I don't mean to be theological, just "hey, these are good ideas." So there they are.

And I do like most people. I think just about everyone I've ever met is pretty cool, at least in some way or another. And I'm not always good at taking life at the speed it arrives. I get impatient mostly. And I do like to explore, though I get timid when I don't want to be sometimes.

So I guess I'm not good at my own advice.

But my dad had another saying... "Do as I say, not as I do."

3 comments:

  1. If you keep your expectations at a realistic level, you suffer a lot less disappointment.

    You cannot control other people's actions; you only control your own actions and how you respond to the actions of others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maintain personal hygiene daily. Clean your brain of all junk, rusty nails, resentment and any snakes and spiders and replace them with a good layer of paste wax from reading scripture, psalms, and the occasional hymn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anytime you say "No" to a new thing that will not hurt you and is not immoral or illegal, you make your life a little smaller.

    ReplyDelete