"Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." Paul to the persecuted at Philippi (2:5-11)

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Democrazy.

Four years ago, I was cajoled into voting against my convictions because I allowed some people to convince me to vote against one candidate, because this candidate *could* do all manner of evil if elected.  I cast my vote "for" one candidate, who did not bear my support, in order to vote against another.

Today many of my friends have tried to convince me to act in the same manner again.  Vote for one, in other to vote against the other.  The other is evil.  The other is scary.  The other is, well, other.

Apparently, candidates have thus vilified one another since the beginning of America.  They point fingers, accuse, paint propaganda, spin, sling mud, and act like children to try to convince us that they are the person most fit to secure peace and prosperity in a free land.  And the only reason it works is that they succeed in stirring up irrational fear of the other candidate.  Without that, the propagandizer would just look like a spoiled, whining child.

This election has been marked with media frenzy, wild image, flamboyant language, entertainment without substance, debate without logic, invasive advertising, and baseless theorizing. 

No more.  At some point, America needs to draw a line.  Candidates who treat us like we're stupid will not be tolerated.

So today I cast my vote.
Me, I, myself, cast my vote.
Fear did not cast my vote.
Propaganda did not cast my vote.
The media did not cast my vote.
Intellectual laziness did not cast my vote.
I cast my vote. 
I researched,
questioned,
prayed,
pondered,
kept my opinions mostly to myself,
as I sorted out what seems to be the best for the whole,
and quietly,
I voted.

That, folks, is how democracy is supposed to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment