"Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." Paul to the persecuted at Philippi (2:5-11)

Friday, March 30, 2012

Just poke at it some and see what happens….

My computer has a virus.  Not the computer I’m using right now, but my desktop machine, the one with all my working files on it.  Alas.  I’ve not gotten much done for a while now and its starting to get frustrating. 

Apparently this is an interesting sort of virus.  The kind my husband can’t really fix, or so it seems.  He’s clicking away in there right now, at 12:25 in the morning, and I kind of feel guilty that I’m thinking of going to bed.  He’s thought he’s gotten rid of this virus on several occasions, but it just comes back worse than before.  Its hiding somewhere, he can’t find the root of the problem.  All he can manage is to poke at symptoms, sometimes well hidden symptoms that only someone of his immense geekiness can find.  But still he can’t find the cause.  He’s like House MD of the computer world.  Oooh ah.

It occurs to me that most of what we’re doing in society today is kind of the same thing.  We theorize, try out cures based on a mishmash of symptoms and basically poke around without much clue what we’re doing.  Don’t like the democrats, vote republican, or the other way around.  There’s a lot of rhetoric (not the classical kind, but more the propaganda kind) and not a lot of solutions.  There’s a lot of poking ineffectively at symptoms, and very few people who can point to the root of the problem.

And when someone does put their finger on the problem, it is so different from what we have conditioned ourselves to think of as the set menu of options that it seems crazy. 

I’m reminded of the VeggieTales episode (because I do have one child who was small when the talking Veggies were cool, before they sold out to big business) where the cucumber proclaims “THE WORLD NEEDS A HERO!  I. AM. THAT. HERO!”

The world does need a hero, and aside from the pat answer that Jesus is that hero (he is) we all need to engage in a little more heroic, outside the box heroism, even when it means the danger of failure, looking a little crazy, or actually putting our finger on the painful truth.

1 comment:

  1. The answer is "That's the way we are." And we are always in the box. If you think you're out of the box, it just got bigger. It's a lot like measuring eternity. And if anybody stands up and says "I have all the answers and when I'm king I'll fix all your problems, whether you like it or not," I'll be more afraid of that guy than all the viruses we currently enjoy.

    ReplyDelete