"Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." Paul to the persecuted at Philippi (2:5-11)

28 July 2011

Runner Dude

(Let me say at the outset, that I would like to reply to everyone's comments on earlier posts, but for some reason my laptop isn't talking to that part of Blogger... weird. Anyway, you all are cool and I love reading your comments. And thanks to my friend David over at Anglican Yinzer for the link to the previous post!)

Okay, so they warned me that my kids would grow up to be their own people. But sometimes, admittedly, I forget. I had this neat conversation yesterday with a couple of other homeschool moms about how our kids are "carbon copies" of someone else in our family. My eldest, for example, often reminds me of my mother-in-law. He's a wonderful, whimsical child who shares some of his grandmother's gifts and foibles. But of course he's also himself. Different from anyone else. My second son is my dad made over, and sometimes the differences are harder to find. (Our third son is adopted.... a constant study in nature and nurture. He fits right in but sometimes that's in his complimentary differentness, and it makes me wonder what his Korean parents are like.)

Its easy to think of them for their genetic sameness. And sometimes, especially when they're little, its easy to miss their uniqueness.

I picked up my eldest from taekwondo camp yesterday and he told me that he had discovered that he was the fastest sprinter in the group. Not a big deal, but he was giving the instructor a bit of a run for his money (quite literally as apparently they were racing for pennies), too. I was a little surprised. My son has a friend who runs track, and now he's interested in it too. So suddenly I'm in danger of becoming a track mom.

My husband ran track in high school. But for me, running is what you do when the only other option is getting eaten by something nasty. Even then, its a tough choice.

Later in the evening, my son's martial arts instructor told me (twice) that my kid is fast and should really consider running track. Yikes, an outside confirmation! My kid? A runner? Weird. But if he's this fast and hasn't had any training, then maybe there's something to the idea.

So he's going to try it, kind of informally. His dad is his coach for now. And they're running a 5K together next month, just to see how he likes it. How different, and unique. Like his dad, he has the body for it. But I never ever expected my child would be a runner.

Someone asked me when I was expecting him if I wanted a kiddo just like me or just like my husband. Off hand I replied "like my husband, I chose to live with him. I'm not sure I could live with another me." My runner dude is definitely different from his dad, but in his uniqueness, he has plenty that's the same too.

Kinda cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment