"Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." Paul to the persecuted at Philippi (2:5-11)

Sunday, April 10, 2011

What unholy heck is this???

Okay so there’s a thread over at StandFirm about the latest hoorah from the Episcopal Church about the little factoid that Earth Day and Good Friday fall on the same date this year.  If you’re interested in a modern theological fiasco, you can scoot on over there and witness it all for yourself. The article is here.
Well, I guess I shouldn’t have.  I have plenty of other things to do.  And it is rather like unto watching a train wreck.  But I did it… I followed links.   Why do I do this to myself?
What I found was “The Episcopal Ecological Network (of the Episcopal Church)” and as they offered a few “liturgical resources” (one of which, I will spare you, specifically calling for the services of a mime… I kid you not… and culminating in ways we can be nice to the earth… but it pales in comparison to what came next) for use, including one for Eucharist in “creation season” which I gather comes sometime in October- November (from the dating in the document itself)… I had no idea such a “season” of the liturgical year existed. 
Ah where to begin???  Perhaps with the litany to which the congregational response is “I pray for all my relatives- all living things.”  Whether we are saying that we’re related to all living things (no, we are in Christ related to all other believers, but fluffy bunnies and kitty cats are not brothers and sisters) or whether we are simply affirming that all our relatives are living things (except those who aren’t, and I don’t think my relatives would take kindly to being called things), the response, repeated and repeated, is a load of tripe.
But ah, for what do we petition our deity on behalf of whatever it is we call our relatives…


Leader:
Father, love is something we must have. We must have it because our Spirit feeds upon it. We must have it because without it we become weak and faint. Without love, we weaken and our courage fails. Father, you declared that love in your Son Jesus Christ. Help your Church declare that love in this world.

Is it just me or is that kind of gross?
Okay how about this one?


Leader:
Great Spirit, we feel you in the buffalo, the moose, in summer, with the mist on the lake and in the blue wave, in the cry of the loon. It is beautiful. You tell us heaven is still more beautiful. Injustice and suffering will be gone, We rejoice and look forward in hope as You help us to build your kingdom in our communities. Those who have worn out their shoes know where to step. Help us to follow the footsteps of Jesus.

Holy paganism!  then again, if they hear their god in the cry of the loon…. no I won’t say that…
Then follows some stuff about Mother Earth casting off winter and the wisdom of the elders (echoes of ancestor worship that they aren’t willing to own up to quite yet)… and lots and lots of native American paganism. 
Then, of course, because the day wouldn’t be complete without it, comes… come on clergy friends… all together now:
EUCHARISTIC PRAYER C!!! Yes, this “fragile earth, our island home.”  The “Star Wars Prayer” as my husband calls it (“the vast expanse of interstellar space…”)  call of the loon indeed.
And if that is not enough… I promise you brothers and sisters, (it's found here)
the final blessing…
which makes utterly no sense at all…
“Blessing: Deep peace of the running wave.”
There is no congregational response to that.  Indeed, how could one respond to that?   I mean I can handle “Go in peace to love and serve the Lord.”  I know that response: Thanks be to God.  But if someone dismissed the congregation with “Deep peace of the running wave,” it would be all I could do not to respond with “What the hell?”
Which is probably the only apt response there is, now that I think of it.

2 comments:

  1. Blessing: Deep peace of the running wave.
    Response: Zen surfing forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe the appropriate response comes from the well-loved "Liturgy for Brooklyn." So--

    Blessing: Deep peaceof the running wave.
    Response: Likewise, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete