"Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." Paul to the persecuted at Philippi (2:5-11)

07 April 2011

For after that final at-bat....

Okay, anyone who reads this blog (does anyone read this blog?  well, a few perhaps) knows that I'm as much of a baseball fan as the next person.  The sounds and smells and feel of an open air stadium on a hot summer day (or a breezy summer night), maybe a cold drink, friends and family nearby, alternately relaxing and exhilarating.   Can't beat a good seat for a good game, and there's nothing like a game at PNC Park where all the seats are good, all the best teams come to play, and the price is still something I can afford without mortgaging one of my kids. 

But as much as one can love baseball, there has to be a limit.

This... has crossed the limit.


Yup, just like choosing your kids' bedroom comforter, there is a casket in every major league logo. 

Personally, I think it may be putting a bit too much stock in God's own sports preferences.  I mean, if you're a Pirates fan, do you go for the local favorite, even thought they've been an exiled people for 18 years, or do you go for a more "sure thing" and risk offending the local funeral director?   You could just as well end up going to eternity in a spiffy looking Cleveland Indians casket with a mustache and horns drawn on you in Sharpie pen.

And what if after you're all sealed up and firmly planted in the ground the team moves to another market, insults your hometown, and leaves your descendants paying taxes through the nose for an abandoned stadium? 

Football fans seem to be out of luck... so far the company seems only to have baseball coffins.  I guess that's because baseball is the only sport in heaven/Iowa. 

3 comments:

  1. Caskets traditionally have various religious symbols on them.

    See, here's one reader, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup; the same company also had headstone emblems to put your team on in place of your religious symbol there, too. I guess for some people baseball is a religion.

    And I guess I'm not really one to talk, as I just noticed that on my over-educated-but-still-stupid phone that my Bible App gets more frequent use than the weather app, but less frequent use than MLB-atBat and the *ahem* Dilbert app. But then again, I'm still a fan of my retro "paper" Bible.

    And I'm not ordering a Dilbert casket, well, ever.

    Thanks for being my reader. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this three people-wide headstone (only one "slot" being used at the time) that has a picture of the family farm with the name on the side of the barn. It seems like I'm the only one who finds that strange. After a while I quit mentioning it to people. People worship what they worship.

    ReplyDelete