"Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." Paul to the persecuted at Philippi (2:5-11)

20 February 2011

Three blessings for which to be thankful.

1. I am thankful for the friend who reminded me that my friends in TEC/PGH are still my friends and are simply trying to live out what they think is the right thing to do, as am I. I will love who I love, and no one can take that from me. To my friends in TEC, I confess and apologize that I needed reminding.

2. I am thankful that the diocese of South Carolina, seeing what we're experiencing in Pittsburgh, did not shy away from putting their feet on the path to suffering and freedom. Bless you, brothers, in the days ahead.

3. I am thankful for a brief walk, a moment in a grand chapel (not Episcopal or Anglican) in which it became clear while looking at the tremendous stained glass windows that sometimes, what we see up close is not nearly the big picture. And thankful also for the all consuming music of the practicing organist, which began suddenly and ended just as suddenly as I needed to head out the door for a meeting, to be reminded that the beauty seek is all consuming, overwhelming, enveloping and not of our own making.

And if we suffer we suffer for a while. Our true brothers and sisters have seen their buildings burned to the ground before their eyes. Of what do we have rights to complain? But if we suffer we suffer only for a short while. And our Lord didn't stay on the cross or in the grave. And joy comes in the morning.

Post script... A fourth thing for which to be thankful: Girl Scout Cookies that have the basic decency to arrive BEFORE Lent starts... for once.

No comments:

Post a Comment