"Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." Paul to the persecuted at Philippi (2:5-11)

09 January 2011

People

I can't help it... I believe in people.
I'm an introvert, overwhelmed by crowds, noise, hoorah.
But I like people; I can't help it.
I'm slow to get to know new folks, hating small talk and finding it hard to move beyond 'hello, how are you?'
But I've never met someone not worth the effort.
I've been hurt before, had people I couldn't forgive, lost friends. But they were all important, valuable, vital.
And in the end, I've been able to forgive them; and maybe they've forgiven me. I like to think I forgive easily. Usually anyway.

I believe in people.
I believe that every name, the good, bad, and ugly, splashed across my internet news feed, has a story, a need.
I believe that every face I see was crafted by the hand of God, because God, my God, loved and wanted that person from before the foundation of the earth.
I believe that each human being was meant for eternity.

Each one is fallen, but retains the image of God.
Marred, but not erased.

People are passionate, even when wrong.
Emotive, expressive, creative, cruel.
There is almost always a context.
People are gifted, varied, complex.
With hands, minds, voices, people create.
Because God created first.

And so I find it difficult when people walk away.
But at times I've had to let them go.
And some, on occasions more rare than I'd like to admit, have eventually wondered back into my life again.

And I find it difficult when people hate, when arguing is not about debate but anger, when charity fails.

I take the Scriptures seriously in the command to honor others above ourselves.

Though I fail to live it out more often than not.
I like people, but I fail to love.
To welcome the stranger. To hear the story. To know the context.
To practice what I've just preached.

2 comments:

  1. Hi. I've been in such turmoil on this very subject - loving others, REGARDLESS of who/what they do or don't do. One of THE two mandates we Christians are directed by Christ we must do. Easy to love the lovable...the unlovable...the most I can often do is stay on my knees and PRAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. I guess we all have our unloveables, and they're different for everyone. Some people have trouble with the poor, others the rich... I don't recall what it was that prompted that post, but I grew up with a dad who really did believe that most people are trying to be good people and that really was how he lived his life. That meant something. Anyway, glad I posted it if its been useful for you. (and hi there, nice to meet you!)

    ReplyDelete