"Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." Paul to the persecuted at Philippi (2:5-11)

25 June 2010

Bored.

Do you know what I find utterly boring? The latest kerfluffle with the Episcopal Church. When we stood in the middle of the storm, I watched the news intently (usually over at standfirminfaith.com) for the egotistic reason that it pertained to me, it was happening in my backyard. I looked for the names of people I knew and cared about, on both sides. I checked the blogs every day.
But after we left the Episcopal Church, I continued to check the blogs daily, morbidly wondering what would happen next. After a few weeks, I tore myself away from the prattle, it wasn't good for my spiritual health, it was breeding smugness. I watched again when I knew my friends who were still in TEC were involved or hurting, but then from more of a distance. And finally, for a few months I didn't watch at all.

But lately, the last two or three weeks or so, I've gone back to the old blogs. And you know what I find; I find that I merely skim the headlines and move on. If I do read deeper I shake my head a little and let it go. It isn't my fight. I've lost my voice in that debate.

And maybe that says something about me. Maybe I'm still an egocentric three year old at heart, if it doesn't relate to me, then it doesn't matter. But I'm also bored with all the people who wheedle away their hours maligning the Episcopal Church without doing anything, neither leaving nor making an effort to fight the good fight. I'm not interested in small children throwing small rocks. I'm interested in change, moving forward, mission.

I know not everyone who feels as I do is in a position to leave the Episcopal Church right now. Some of my friends are doubtless on the same trajectory but are not in the same place on the road. They still read avidly because the news is still theirs, they still look for people they know. But I think I need something new to blog about, something interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment