"Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." Paul to the persecuted at Philippi (2:5-11)

18 June 2010

Big Brother is Calling You

Okay, I'm creeped out, and a little ticked off. I got a call just now from my friendly automated Giant Eagle call center. For those of you not local to the area, Giant Eagle is the big grocery store chain where I do most of my shopping. To keep our grocery costs down, most everyone uses their "Advantage" system, which we all know is their excuse to: 1. raise prices on unsuspecting non-locals who may pass through and need something to eat and 2. market at us whether we like it or not. But most of us just sigh and use the stupid little card.

Today I got a call from their automated call center informing me of the recall on Campbells Spaghettios products. Fine, nice of you to call. Except the call went on to say that "our records indicate that someone in your household may have purchased this product within the last eighteen months... " Wait a minute... you're telling me that Giant Eagle has records of my purchases, who I am and what I've bought, down to the last can of Campbells Nasty-O's (which I promise I almost never buy and when I do I instantly remember they are gross as soon as the can is opened... there are absolutely no recalled cans in this house) for the last year and a half??? And you can pull up that information at will and do whatever you want with it???

I'm sorry but I'm a little creeped out about this. Does Giant Eagle therefore have a record of every roll of toilet tissue and every unhealthy food choice my family has purchased for over a year??? Can I expect a call sometime in the not-so-distant future from social services telling me I haven't bought my family's quota of green-leafies or is that information just in-house so that Giant Eagle can pester me with unwanted advertisements that go straight into the land-fill?

Thanks for the "concern" Giant Eagle, but frankly I'm repulsed.

No comments:

Post a Comment