"Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." Paul to the persecuted at Philippi (2:5-11)

21 December 2008

O Holy Night (moved)

I am psyched about Christmas this year. I don't really know what makes this year different from every other year, but I'm getting a big kick out of lighting each successive Advent candle. I guess it is in part due to the fact that my kids are excited... all three of them, though the eldest plays it sort of cool. I know they're excited about presents, they're kids. But I think there's more magic in their excitement than there is for things like birthdays, it can't just be about presents.

I'm excited because we're helping serve lunch to those in need or alone for the holiday in a nearby town. We'll get up, have stockings, go to Mass, serve lunch, come home and have the afternoon for presents and fun and perhaps our own family Christmas meal. What an opporunity this is for us, as a family, to be able to serve Christmas dinner! What an opportunity for my kids to delay the presents for a couple of hours and give instead. Isn't that what Christmas is about, incarnation and incarnational ministry?

I think it's hard for people to see, but it's true, ministries to those in need are even more a ministry to those who have and are willing to give. Some folks in Carnegie might take away a good feeling and a belly full of food, but my family will benefit more, my kids will be given the chance to learn a lesson that lasts a lifetime. What a cool thing.



I hear a lot of people make the excuse that "I have kids at home" as an excuse not to serve in things like this on Christmas Day. But that's all backwards. Having kids and family is the best reason I know to come on down and serve lunch. Anyone want to join us? We'll be at Atonement in Carnegie from 10 am until about 1 pm. Come on down!

No comments:

Post a Comment